Friday, August 14, 2009

Earthquakes! Tsunamis! Typhoons! Oh My!

Here's a piece of advice: If you are looking for a thrill, move to Japan. If you want to live into your golden years, move someplace else.
Here are some of the "thrills" I have been experiencing this week.

Tuesday Morning.
The earthquake shook my apartment so much I had to crawl on hands and knees to hide under my computer desk in the spare room. I think the quake lasted 8-10 seconds.



When the quake was over, a tsunami warning came on the news. Apparently, it amounted to nothing. But hey, I am a first-timer on these things so just say the words "tsunami warning" and I will start panicking.


Thursday morning.
Another earthquake in the ocean that did not affect my area, thankfully, but still close enough to be a cause for worry.

Thursday evening.
Earthquake No. 2 of the day. My apartment shook a little and I dove under the futon blanket/mattress that I had just brought in from airing. Lasted maybe 5 secs.

You may have also heard on the news that Japan has suffered landslides from these earthquakes and due heavy rainfall in the west. And don't forget our seasonal typhoons... I think No. 9 just passed to the south of Japan this week.

I used to live in Tornado Alley; now I live in Natural Disaster 3-Ring Circus of Fire.

Did I mention Mt. Fuji is right outside my window?

No comments: