Thursday, May 13, 2010

4 Years from Now

Wow. It just hit me.

The World Cup Soccer (Football) Tournament is this year. Do you know what this means?!

I am officially a has-been.

...

How did I come to that conclusion?

4 years ago, during the time of the previous World Cup, I was touring Europe with the HU Chorus. There were weeks of rain, international singing festival in Poland, the beauty of Dresden Germany, reuniting with college friends in Vicenza Italy, crepes in Lyon France, and a super long bus ride from Calais to Bristol.
My fleece pullover became my best friend because, unlike Arkansas, most of Europe is still pretty chilly in May and June. Close runner-ups were my Febreze fabric deodorizor and Shout Wipes. Remember those hideous asparagus outfits? Yikes...
Most memorable are the other members of the Chorus and the generous people who hosted us on our tour. In Germany, I seemed to bump into a lot of people who knew me as a child or knew my family. In Croatia, I learned a valuable lesson in friendship. In France, I fell in love with white peaches.

That was 4 years ago.

Now, I am teaching English at a high school in Japan.

I have been so blessed and priveleged to have so many experiences young in life. I hope that 4 years from now, I am still as adventurous and appreciative of the world and the people who make my life amazing.

Where will I be 4 years from now?

1 comment:

Alex said...

I have had similar epiphanies, usually stemming from memories of like the ones you shared. As wonderful as travel is, I think it makes us feel very mortal. I suppose the other side of that coin is that being mortal reminds us that we are alive, because I definitely feel alive when I am far away.