Friday, May 29, 2009

Picture Update Pt. 3 - Golden Week with the Noguchi Family

The second half of my Golden Week was spent with the Noguchi Family. Emiko-san (not pictured) was also a student at Harding. My mom tends to take in anyone of Japanese descent which has been a great blessing because now I have so many connections in Japan! Plus, they all remember me as a spoiled brat, so it is good to visit to show that I have grown up (at least a little).
The Noguchi family live in another prefecture to the east of Tokyo called Ibaraki. It was a great contrast to go to the inaka (countryside) for a few days after living in a suburb and visiting Tokyo Metro earlier in the week.

We mostly relaxed at home which was FINE with me and I played with the Noguchi's children, Hannah and Aito.

The main "event" was to visit the daibutsu (Great Buddha) statue. The daibutsu of Kamakura is older and thus more famous than this one in Ibaraki, but the Ibaraki is the tallest statue in the world according to Guiness World Records.

I am not sure if I believe that... I am thinking of the Jesus statue in Rio...




Hannah and Mr. Yoshiya Noguichi.


The Great Buddha statue.



Hannah and Aito in front of the poppies.



My favorite flowers: iris.



Another landscaping picture.

Thank you for a wonderful visit!

2 comments:

Roki said...

You may not care, but I decided to look up the tallest statues and found, according to Wikipedia, that there is a statue in China of a buddha that is the tallest and a buddha in Myanmar that is taller. So, save this little fact for some time when you're sipping coffee with friends and just totally wow them. Miss ya. Kenny

J. Ro said...

I think it was just a misunderstanding of English between the Noguchi's and I.

According to Ibaraki's english website, The Ushiku Buddha is the tallest in JAPAN and WAS the tallest in 1995.
http://www.pref.ibaraki.jp/bukyoku/seikan/kokuko/e-ibaraki-report/0607buddha.html