Thursday, May 14, 2009

Insurance Revisited

As with most culture shock, the shock is only initial. It's kinda like jumping into a cold pool. That first plunge from toes to head (or head to toe if you dive) gives a tingling, rushing sensation that is uncomfortable, but after about 5 minutes, the body adjusts and makes do with its environment. I know there is a biology term for that adjustment, but I can't think of it right now.

So my insurance.

After losing a filling, getting a temporary one, getting a new, permanent, silver filling, having both upper back molars reshaped, took an x-ray, and had a full-scale cleaning, I still only had to pay about $100 in all. So I guess my insurance isn't all that terrible.

I think the most fascination part of the process was during the cleaning when the dental hygienist rubbed my teeth with purple ink and then made me rinse. Afterwards, she handed me a mirror and when I smiled, I was stunned to see purple streaks between and along some teeth. But I had just brushed! So then she took a model set of teeth and larger-than-usual toothbrush and showed me how to improve my technique.

I never knew what my parents paid, or didn't pay due to insurance coverage, for my dental check-ups in the States. However, I am relieved to know that I can get a full cleaning/check-up for under $30 thanks to my insurance. Next appointment is the day before my birthday, which by the way, is September 10th.

I should get my internet back next week. If I could moonwalk, I would. Then again... if I could dance, I would.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Insurance is a good thing...usually

HUGS

I miss you, my jillybean! I actually used my coin purse you gave me for the first time this week...and it made me miss you even more lol. It's getting pretty muggy here so I might start using that handkerchief too >_>

OK it's late here and even night owls have to sleep.

Heart,
Anna-san

Claire said...

that's a VERY good deal. medical money stuff SUCKS in the real world! sad you had to get all that purple-streaky-teeth-stuff done though. are you repeating next year? i don't think i know the scoop...keep me posted.

dee said...

Years ago my dentist gave out little red pills that would stain the teeth and show where more brushing needed to happen...they helped! A cleaning with X-rays costs us $120...no insurance...but many dental insurance plans only pay $1200 a year max, and premiums are nearly $600 a year, so we chose to do with out dental insurance! You got a really good deal!

Alex said...

I know this has very little to do with what you were talking about, but the mention of purple teeth reminds me of an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?

That is all.