Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Let the Update Begin! Part 4

During break, the chorus club went to 2 hospitals to sing. And they wanted to sing one Christmas carol in English. So here is my contribution to the Christmas Spirit.




There is one yakitori shop in Shimizu that I love. "yaki" means "grilled" and "tori" means "chicken" and together -- grilled chicken. And it's usually served on a long bamboo toothpick. Of course, you can order other things than just grilled chicken... I prefer the pork and green onion myself.

So after the chorus concerts, Kiyomi and I went to said yakitori shop. The shop is really close to school and really small. Here you can see the bar where I am sitting. To the left (not in the picture) are 3 low-sitting tables that seat 4 each.


The shop is run by a husband and wife. It's called Jiro's but that's the husband's father's name. Still haven't figured out what to call them so I just say "Okusan" and "Ojisan" -- Ma'am and Sir.

So above the shelves, are long rectangles of wood. On them are the things you can order with the price at the bottom. You may have to click on the picture to enlarge it to see the writing.




This is Jiro's son. The shop is "old-fashioned" style and is really cozy inside and the couple is REALLY NICE. I feel like a favorite niece when I come in.



So after a few sticks of meat, Kiyomi and I usually order yaki-onigiri (grilled rice) and miso soup. Jiro usually adds aji (fish) as well. So this is before we ate...


And this is after....


No comments: