Saturday, November 15, 2008

Just Average

From a GPA that would rival Hermione Granger, it has come a bit of a shock to me that I am doing so poorly on my Japanese Language Course provided by CLAIR (another acronym for yet another JET organization).

And then I realized, I am not doing that "poorly".

I should be a little more realistic. Everyone struggles with language learning so to be making no mistakes would actually be the EXTREME exception and not the norm. Plus, I got arrogant and bit off more than I can chew by choosing the Intermediate Course instead of the Beginner Course. And by the way, CLAIR doesn't allow you to change courses.

I have 6 monthly tests over the course of the year and I must earn a grade of 70% or higher on all of them to receive of Certificate of Completion. I can ask for teacher's help, but I feel a bit guilty doing so because they are so busy. I want to be honest about my level of Japanese comprehension on the tests, but I do not want all this time and energy go to waste by failing them (less than 70%).

So this part is more of an encouragement note from my November 15, 2008, 10:40pm self to the other self in the future, whenever it is that I should read this post again.
1) I am good at reading comprehension.
2) Japanese grammar is the least of my worries. People will understand me even if I can't remember which particle to use or if I moderately botch a verb conjugation.
3) Practice makes perfect. I will understand these concepts better if I can manipulate a situation where I am forced to use the new things I am learning.
4) Ask for help. There is no shame in getting assistance or further explanation.
5) I need to learn to accept that in this area, I will be just average. 70% or above is what the goal should be and I should be satisfied with myself for at least trying to learn something new. Frustrating myself to make a 90% or an "A" is not going to make this process enjoyable. I am going to have to bury my past "Hermione Granger" accolades and focus on the now.

2 comments:

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex said...

Gotta give yourself a little break. After all, Japan is, like, the test score capital of the universe, right?

I'm proud of you for pushing yourself so hard, both while you were here and there. You really do inspire by your determination.