Thursday, November 27, 2008

Kamakura Adventure Pt. 4 - Sunday, Nov. 2

So at the first of this month, I went to Kamakura to visit my Aunt Keiko and family and at the end of this month, I am finally completing the posts. Ha ha ha!! I'll try to keep the commentaries short but still have lots of pictures.


A small shrine on the way to Kamakura Station.



Me in front of the Daibutsu a.k.a. The Great Buddha of Kamakura.



The Great Buddha statue used to be inside a building. However, a huge tsunami came a long long time ago in a galaxy... oh wait... anyway, it came and washed away the building, but the Great Buddha remained. Dun dun dunnnnnn.



There are so many customs in Japan, religious and traditional. Here, the man is being "cleansed" by the smoke of the incense. Ironic... smoke is cleansing...



Another custom: toss a coin into the slotted box, clap twice, pray, when you finish the prayer you put your hands down, and bow a little towards the "altar".



Outside the Great Buddha Park, everyone was walking around with these HUGE rice crackers and seaweed. So of course, for the novelty of eating such a snack, I bought one and ate it ALL. Seriously, the osembe was as big as my face!



Early Sunday evening or late afternoon, Hiro and I took a walk around to see the burial site of Crown Prince....... somebody. Japan has many "eras". Right now, we are in the "era" of Heisei. Previous to this was Showa and before that was Meiji and before that, I do not know. But WAY back when, there was the Kamakura Period and that was when this Crown Price was buried. But to see the burial site, we had to hike a ways. See pictures below.


It seems that other families can be buried here too other than just the royal family.



If you thought my apartment stairs were bad (see "Apartment" post in August), these stairs were probably worse. They were terribly uneven, slick with moss, and slippery with humidity. They were the first "Stairs that will kill you".



And we were rewarded with our efforts with a view of Kamakura. You should probably click on the picture to see a larger image.



Coming home, Aunt Keiko really "wow-ed" me with a dinner of yakiniku (grilled meat) and veggies. I've slept since my visit at the first of the month, but I remember being in awe of how many packets of meat she kept pulling from the fridge. Meat, particular beef, is EXPENSIVE in Japan so she really gave me a treat of beef and pork yakiniku. Twas so good.



Thank you Aunt Keiko, Uncle Nobi, and Hiro for having me early in November. It was a great trip and I can't wait to visit again! Maybe I will see you next in Malaysia!

No comments: