Monday, June 1, 2009

Adventures in Shopping

The last vestiges of Spring are lingering in Shizuoka. The rainy season is supposed to start soon, but we have had lazy, hazy days lately with only random sputters of rain. This has left the area warm in the daytime and cool at night.

And I am STILL wearing black pants to work.

So I thought I needed to update my spring/summer wardrobe. Since I could only bring 2 suitcases with me, I was very minimal on "dressy clothes". But I am one of those people that sizes are hard to find in EVERYTHING, especially shoes and pants.

But I am so tired of pants. And summer is approaching, why would I want to wear pants to work? So my goals for the next shopping trip were to 1) try new stores, 2) get more dresses 3) find things in COTTON! For some reason, Japan really likes to blend materials which aren't necessarily breathable. And just to note, Americans sweat a lot more than Japanese. Lucky them.

So I went into the city, not really knowing where to go, but there was a handy "popular sites" map in the underground walkway, so I headed to Matsuzakaya and Marui Department Stores.

Now, when I think of a "department store", I am thinking of ONE store, like Dillards, JCPenny, Kohl's etc. No, in Japan, a "department store" is equivalent to a mall.

Matsuzakaya was hugely disappointing. Enough said.

But Marui Department store.... *insert angelic chorus*

They had two buildings but I only had the time (and energy) to explore one. And I spent most of my time in a new found sanctuary: the Gap.

Now, the Gap has always been pricey. But hey, their goods are high quality, easy to accessorize, and can be used in various outfits. I think I tried on their complete collection of girls clothing (which they had a GREAT selection) and came away with two dresses, a white peasant top, two tanks, a long polo, and a jean jacket/shrug all in COTTON! *second angelic chorus*

FYI, I look super cute today with brown headband, grass green shin-length cotton dress, dark jean shrug, and brown sandels in gladiator style.

Thank you, GAP.

No comments: