Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Billboards


I have been in Japan a little over 2 months, and I just noticed that my town of 60,000+ does not have a single billboard. Especially contradicting ones.

Not that I have been avidly looking for billboards, but it was just something I noticed on the long bus-ride home from JUSCO that I wasn't having to combat visual pollution to see the gorgeous scenery of rolling hills around me.

Epiphany... I mean, RIGHT NOW.

What if, like everything else in Japan, billboards are smaller and shorter than their American counterparts?

I must investigate this phenomenon.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I have always found billboards and their ilk [especially campaign signs--shoot me] to be not only tacky, but just downright depressing. The more natural an atmosphere we can create, the better off we'll be, says I.

Claire said...

jill! we don't have any billboards either! i took the train to madrid the other day...and the only thing was a GIANT bull which is the only board allowed. no words...but it symbolizes some company or something. haha. my countryside here isn't pretty though so it doens't actually matter. can't believe you've been thre 2 months! only 2 1/2 weeks for me. i'm eager for 2 months from now, though...i'll feel more settled. i wish you well...love you! hugs.