Thursday, October 2, 2008

体育祭 - Sports Day (Sept. 26)

So I'm FINALLY getting around to posting some pictures from the Sports Day Festival at my school!
The pictures look small, but if you click on them, they should enlarge (I hope).

2nd year student sprints.
From left to right: Noboru (purple), Naoto (green), Kaito (yellow).



And then an obstacle course relay race.
First pick up a yo-yo in a spoon and race it to the other bucket. Then spin 20 times around a bat before running to the next person...


...who must blow a balloon and with a partner, carry the balloon between them to the next person...

...who must pop it...

...and then run through a net...

...and search for the gummy candy in a pan of flour...




Instead of skis, groups of 5 have their legs tied together in a rope and must run around the track. The colored ribbons are used instead of batons. The group then hands off the sash to another group from the same home room.







And then the "typhoon" relay race. It's called typhoon because students must spin around the cone before going on to the next cone and coming back.




When they come back, they pass the pole beneath their team's feet. Everyone must jump at the same time otherwise they'll eat dirt.

Then the pole is passed back over the team's heads and into the hands of the next row to run the "typhoon".




I never knew "Tug-of-War" was officially a sport, but it's quite intense. Whole homerooms battle it out. This is HR 15.

Faces of intense pain.
From left to right: Alex, Syuhei, Kyohei, and Shintaro.


The students seem totally different during Sports Day than in my classroom. I am glad I get to see this side of them and that they can see me cheering them on from the sidelines.
This is HR 33.


And HR 24.


And HR 23.



Even the teachers and coaches get into the festival. They especially want their own homerooms to win. I am not a homeroom teacher, but since I teach practically everyone in the school, I feel as though I can cheer for everyone without favoritism.
And HR 21.

And HR 15 again.


The faces of victory!


And a video. Yes, I am the one yelling really loud.


No comments: