Saturday, October 25, 2008

What's the Big Deal?

So I am learning new things everyday...

Yesterday, I learned that beer tastes worse than it smells.

Seriously, people, why do you drink the stuff?

Having faithfully and honestly kept the contract of an HU student, I was not exposed to alcohol until moving from home. This came to a shock to my new JET friends who were so surprised that even 2 years past the legal drinking age, not a drop of beer had touched these lips. And although Mom kept sake in the house for cooking, I was never tempted to drink any of it. To me, it wasn't worth risking my place at HU to experiment with alcohol. Maybe I just have more resolve than most.

Of course, I have had wine for communion in Europe, and that also wasn't a pleasant experience, but my first "drink" was at the Welcome Dress-Up Karaoke Party in Kakegawa. I had what my brother, Wilson, calls "fru-fru" drinks: fruit-based drinks. The first was a shu-hi. Yuck. The second was a Cassius Orange. More acceptable.

But beer.... UGH! It smells awful, it smells worse on a person's breath or clinging to their clothes, and it's even more awful still actually swishing around upon the palatte.

It's not that I think drinking alcohol in-of-itself is "wrong". But I just do not understand what the craze is about. Yes, it is enjoyable to go out with friends, celebrate a birthday, eat out at an awesome restaurant, fellowship, end off the evening in a karaoke booth until midnight singing and yelling classic 80s and 90s music into we're hoarse, and then dash to the train station to catch the last train home. It makes for a very memorable, pleasant experience to be with others.

I'll stick to my Calpis Waters and juices though. I wouldn't mind trying more "fru-fru" drinks though like a Mimosa (orange juice + champagne.... I think).

No comments: