Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Second Culture Shock Meltdown

OF COURSE, as Murphy's Law would have it, if something CAN go wrong (at the most inconvenient time), it WILL.

Well guess what?

My hard drive crashed.

HELLO?! This laptop is not even 4 months old yet!
Not to mention that the week I need my laptop for almost every class... of course, the HD would decide to crash now.

Well it also crashed at 11:30p.m. so I couldn't call the HP-Japan Technical Support People, I couldn't look up emails, BUT I do have internet on my cell phone (THANK GOODNESS). So I phone-emailed my parents, my Prefecture Advisor, my Head of English JTE, and a family friend in the electronics business. Thankfully, all of them got back to me within 10 minutes and began to help me out.

So I will call the HP-Japan people after my first class with the help of a Japanese Teacher of English (JTE) and hopefully they will uphold the U.S. Warranty. If they do not, esssentially I am screwed. If they do, HALLEJUAH, because they will send me a box, I put my laptop in the box, I fill out some paperwork about the problem. They find the problem and in 2-3 business days after the problem is found (AND BETTER BE FIXED!) they will send the laptop back to me.

I suppose it is not a full-out meltdown like I had last time... but if the phone call this morning does not go well, I am sure you will hear my wails from 8,000 miles away.

Oh, and by the way, it's Tuesday...

======================================
Eons Later... (10:44 am)

So my HD did NOT crash.

So what happened...?

I use my laptop too much.

According to the lady at the HP-Japan place, if I run the laptop too long on battery or just plugged in without shutting down regularly and giving my laptop a rest, my computer will not start up. What happens is that all the electric charge is stuck inside the computer and needs to be released. So I turned off the laptop, unplugged it, took out the battery, waited five seconds before replacing everything again and VOILA! It works!

But I am still going to order an extended-care package from Japan... like... tomorrow... or today... or something. Sheesh...

2 comments:

Alex said...

I've always found it amusing that when our electronics let us down, humanity's best solution is to ship them back to the people that made the faulty stuff and try again.

Having said that, I've done the same thing.

Sorry about the crash. If things do not go well and I hear the wail, I would recommend Mac to you.

Phireant said...

sorry to hear about that jill.. but that sounds like bull from the hp lady.. and if somehow that is true.. that is a horrible design from those engineers. hope everything else is peachy though.